I'm very pleased to see people introducing themselves, sounds like we have a great group for the journey.
My story is this, my company was acquired last July, and my final day was April 4th. Free at last, free at last...This may be to much information but read on for the whole story.
I've been expecting the layoff since the deal was announced in Feb 07, so I've had plenty of time to think about what I want to do next. Because of uncertainty on the job about the final date, I could not make any plans until this March. I came across the CrossRoads tour, when looking for something smaller! I was drawn in because I had fantasized about doing a cross country tour back in the late 70's when I came out of college, does anyone recall Bike Centennial?
I went back and forth on just going on to the next job and a desire to take advantage of the break. What I really wanted was some epic adventure. And on April 1st I spoke to Tracy and I was sold! Just the minor detail of only three or four easy rides this winter leaving me only five weeks to train.
I've considered bicycling my principle form of fun/activity since spring 2001. Prior to that nagging back problems and family obligations had kept me away. Two things changed that, I started taking yoga, which within a few months had eliminated the back pain, and second, my wife's colleague Roland convinced her that I needed a road bike not a fancy watch for our anniversary. A Cannondale Road Warrior 700 entered my life that year. (Roland is planning on joining us in Brattleboro for the ride to Burlington)
Since then, I have taken two bike tours in Italy with Ciclismo Classico, (Western Sicily and Piedmont). I've also become creative with building several bikes from the frame up, so I'm into bicycling on a couple of levels. I also have a substance abuse problem with almost any bicycle accessory marketed, particularly jerseys.
So that leaves us one month from roll out from Hollywood Beach. I can hardly wait, looking forward to the journey of a lifetime with you.
Ron
Friday, April 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment