Thursday, June 5, 2008

Abilene, Topeka KS and St Joseph MO

Short 60+ miler into Abilene went well, starting to get my self back together. The ride was through beautiful grazing land. I saw several groups of horses, and finally close enough to the road to get a picture for Olivia!

Rest day in Abilene was a chance to visit the Eisenhower Museum, and was made special by two lunches at "The Dish", a very welcome relief from a steady diet of fast food and chain restaurants. I had a chicken salad sandwich, blueberry cake and a baked salmon sandwich and fruit crumble. I also got my hair cut so I won't look like a refuge for the rest of the trip.

After the rest day was a century ride to Topeka, here is our chief morale officer Jim showing us the way to Boston. We passed the midway mileage point during the day. Thats speedy Laura K zipping by in the background.

We have been seeing these iconic windmill pumps over the last weeks rides, and here is one is a very typical view for this ride. Rolling countryside, direction changes and tail winds at least part of the time.


One field had a blast from the past, American Bison. The one in the center was enormous.

I was able to complete the century into Topeka KS, for me this marked my return to full riding health after my fall. The accident has seriously affected my mental ability to do the longer tougher rides. I got in just about 5pm, so this was a 10 hour day, average speed about 13mph.

Today we had an easy 86 mile ride out of Kansas to St Joeseph MO. The day was overcast and we had tail winds most of the day so it was fast, I was in before 2pm. Funny how your perspective changes.

Cheers to everyone, I've got my smile back! Ron

No comments: