Saturday, June 28, 2008

Revere Beach, June 27th 2008

The ride to Revere Beach was a lot of things, among them terrible Massachusetts roads, and early morning traffic. But mostly it was riding together for the final day of the tour. We negotiated the first 15 miles safely and largely as a group, then fell into our escorted column.

As we entered Revere, we gained a police escort to block cross traffic. That made us feel really special, although I half expected to have the whole lot of us busted and taken to the pokey. Did Tracy think of a parade permit?

Emotions were very close to the surface as we approached the beach, I rode next to John and in front of Noreen and Scott. My crepe paper decorations had half disappeared into my cassette and derailleur, but the streamers on my helmet gave the effect I desired. As we turned right along Shore Road, our fans greeted us. There was no stopping the tears at this point.

I saw Olivia first and stopped to give her a hug. When we turned left onto the road right on the beach and down to the center of the beach. I had a large contingent of father, mother, sister, 2 nephews, 1 niece, Italian mother in law, wife, son, little league coach, co worker and 2 riding buddies. Nick got to me first and received the sobbing hug of relief, celebration, etc. (I'm crying now at the memory)

There were hugs for all.

Then down to the beach and the ocean. The wheels were dipped, and then it was time for a swim. Off with the jersey, and a running start and awkward splash.

There was a lot of standing around, basking in where we finally were. An acheivement to be savored for the rest of my life, it will take that long to grasp the magnitude of 45 riding days of 50 to 115 mile rides, a total of close to 3,500 miles. It's impossible to grasp even after doing it.

Later in the evening we were together for cocktails and a final buffet. (I hope I never see or hear that word again!) After dinner and some final words from Tracy, it was time to bid adieu, hopefully only temporarily. This was a group of people I wish lived a short distance from for they would be frequent companions not just in riding, but life. Fortunately we have e-mail, and we should be able to keep in touch.

I expect this will be my last post to this blog. Thank you to all who followed along, prayed and sent safe wishes. We made it!

Ciao Ron

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

An incredible achievement, you are all to be applauded for your endurance and dedication to the task, I`m afraid that I would have been afraid of failure, you people seem to have had no such fear.We really do find your achievements to be awesome when one considers the magnitude of this task that you had undertaken, 3,400 miles, before I knew about this event, I did not think that such a ride was possible. Thank you all for allowing us to share in this ride with you.
Regards and best wishes for the future.
Ray & Margaret Wilcox. England.

Anonymous said...

This is a great achievement Ron. I enjoyed wathing your progress through your blog.

Hope all is well.

JoAnn C.

marj said...

Will miss your blogs, really enjoyed reading them, and after this fantastic yourney we wish you all the luck in the world...George and Marj

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome ride of a life time cousin Ron! I was with you always during each blog and could feel the love and excitement as you pedaled each mile. Worried when you talked about a fall and trip to emergency room. Glad when you got back on the horse (bike) and were able to continue. This is when I prayed for you the most!

Pray and hope now that this leads you to higher platforms and even greater acheivements in your life.

You are young and have much left to seek out and conquer!

Love Cousin Jimmy Wilson
Atlanta, Gerogia