Our penultimate day of riding was from Brattleboro through New Hampshire, across into Massachusetts to Burlington MA. This sets us up for an 18 mile ride to Revere Beach, Boston MA.
The day dawned cloudy with forecasts of rain in Brattleboro and Boston areas throughout the day. The mood of riders was apprehensive as we wished each other a safe ride. We were acutely aware of how far we had come, the 87 miles for the day, and how slim the margin is out on the road.
Fortunately, we all had a safe rides.
We crossed the Connecticut River just outside of Brattleboro, and the NH state line on an island in mid river. The requisite pictures were taken, and quickly move on. The route was pretty much Rt 119 to 225 to 62. Of course it still took up a page and a half of notes!
It started to rain, and on went the rain jackets. It rained from softly to steady until about sixty miles. By then we were in Massachusetts.
I'm going to skip to the end of the ride. When we went under the Nashua River bikeway, I was on familiar ground. Robin and I had gone up there last year, and on my big 92 mile training ride in April I had come out to Groton and stumbled upon the path.
When we got to Carlisle center and Fern's Country Store, I felt like I was home. The emotions bubbled the surface and my eyes teared up. The weather was still threatening to rain some more, so rather than lengthen the day with a diversion to Concord center, we rolled on.
Rt 225 from Carlisle to Bedford is one of the worst road surfaces to ride a bike on. I am embarassed at the impression made by my state. Rt 62 wasn't much better with the traffic around the Burlington mall and office parks. In spite of misreading the final sign for Wheeler Road, and starting on the ramp to Rt 95/128, we arrived safely at about 2:45pm.
Last night we had a buffet dinner, and each cyclist had an opportunity to share their thoughts. Most were touching, many eloquent, and all heartfelt. A highlight was the group organized by Linda to sign new lyrics made up for the occasion. It started:
Oh we started in LA and pedaled on,
Yes we started in LA and pedaled on,
Dipped our wheels in the Pacific
We were oh so optimistic
When we started in LA and pedaled on.
The Massachusetts verse included:
Rolling hilss and sparkling rivers
dreadful traffic made us shiver
Through the Massachusetts rain we pedaled on.
For the big finish (of the song!)
We're so happy that we're frantic
To dip our wheels in the Atlantic
Then away from Boston Town we'll pedal on.
I'm going to get ready for the ride to the beach now. I'll post a recap later today with some pictures. As our most eloquent rider said, "We've given the blood and sweat, the tears to come."
Ciao and thanks for your support, Ron
Friday, June 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment